Thursday, December 3, 2015

Jingle, Jangle, Juggle

Picture it, if you will, Josh Groban’s “O Holy Night” softly streaming through the speakers on a crisp morning.  This invokes feelings of peace and joy and happiness, right?  Yes, unless it is playing in my tiny Prius as three people search, scramble and throw things around looking for a pen while yelling at each other about not being prepared.  I needed a pen to write a note for tutorials on the back of the HEB receipt we found stuck to the floor of the car and neither child had a pen or pencil in their enormous, voluminous backpacks.  They tried to turn it on me but I quickly deflected all blame and responsibility and ruined the boy’s life by actually walking him into middle school and asking the first person I saw for a pen.  

This is going to be my Christmas season this year: soft rumblings of holiday bliss in the background drowned out by the craziness of our lives.  I usually write something about pausing to enjoy the season or not getting caught up in the crazy but I am fully onboard the crazy train and I say let it rip!  Basketball games and gifts to get each week before the games?  Sure, sign me up and don’t let me know until the night before.  Winter Concerts where kids need to be there ten minutes before I get home from work?  Totally doable!  Cookies for this, beverages for that and White Elephant gifts too?  God bless us, every one. 

This is just the way life is this year and it would be silly to think that the magic of Christmas would slow things down.  I am a little sad that the busyness is creating havoc with some of our normal traditions, but I think that is part of the kids growing up and turning our lives into a whirlwind.  During one of my unemployed years, I crafted an advent calendar out of trees made from colored Christmas paper and not only did it actually turn out, the kids loved it. I know they love it and while I know that, I forgot to buy candy to put under the trees until December 2nd.  The candy I bought didn’t fit under the trees and while trying to make it fit and doing homework with the boy and putting together lunches for the next day, I gave up.  I knocked all the little trees over, piled the candy in the middle and considered it done.  Maybe I will buy one of the nicely packaged ones from Starbucks and let my children feel the love from a giant corporation this holiday season. 
Timber!!!



 I drank so much coffee yesterday my heart hurt, but in kind of a good way, like it was finally keeping up with my brain.  Work is just as crazy as everyone is trying to cram the last few weeks of the semester in.  One of the things I do here at work is personally visit students in class with very overdue books.  They love (?) the personal attention and it helps me put a face with a name.  Yesterday, as I was running around to classes trying to hunt down overdue books, I found a kid lying unconscious in the stairwell.  It almost didn’t surprise me.  Later on this same day, a teacher yelled out to me as I was once again on the hunt that someone in her class was having a seizure and could I help?  Of course I can help.  Thinking about this later I think that all the busyness of our lives has brought me to the realization that everything and anything is going to happen every second of the day.  I don’t have to be prepared for it; I just have to go with it.  I am going to apply this to the Christmas season too.  I might not be able to stop and do all the tiny things that make used to make it enjoyable, but I can still enjoy the blur of lights as I run along.

No comments:

Post a Comment