Sunday, October 18, 2015

Ask Not What Your School Can Do

These first two months of school have been crazy.  They have been frantic, frazzled and frenetic.  Teachers are looking harassed, harangued and harried.  They are wearing their April faces in October.  Our loving library has been referred to as a “police state” and “fascist regime”.  Rules have changed, things have changed, people have changed and all and all, it has been disheartening.  We have been negative, needling and near-sighted.  We have felt put upon, put down and pushed aside.  As a result we are slow to smile, quick to anger and a little lifeless around the edges.  We don’t like to be like this and we talk about what to do to fix it, but until today I didn’t have an answer.

Today I taught.  Today I stood in front of a class of about 25 or so and spoke, directed, instructed, lectured and modeled.  It was exciting and new and it went well.  It could have gone a lot of ways, but it went well.  We spent 90 minutes discussing forgotten people of American history: the women and more specifically, the suffragists.  It was thrilling!  I don’t know if it was thrilling for the kids, but they were at least engaged.  At the end of the class, they watched a clip from Iron Jawed Angels.  The clip I had them watch is where Alice Paul (Hillary Swank) is force fed in prison to end her hunger strike.  After the clip, the class was instructed to write for two minutes, non-stop, about how they felt.  And they wrote.  Not all of them wrote for two minutes, but they wrote.  Like the wanna-teach-teacher I am, I brought them all home tonight to read.  There are some true gems because they are teenagers and when instructed to write how they feel, they pepper their feelings with profanity.  They say things like “Damn that sucks.” Or “I am worried those raw eggs will make her sick”, or the best one, “Jesus Christ that’s blasphemy. The one that really got me was the “I am so mad right now!!!!!!”  I showed someone something that made them so mad.  This student was mad so she was listening. And if she is mad then she might be mad enough to care and if she is mad enough to care, then let’s change the world!!!  I am excited that I finally made someone mad and not mad at me! 

Someone else has been having a year like mine!


This student helped me realize that I probably make people feel something every day.  I am hoping it is not always anger.  I am hoping I help them feel relieved when I offer them a solution or happy when I show them how to fix what isn’t working.  I would like to think I make them feel encouraged when I listen or amused when I share a pearl of wisdom.    Somehow in the hullabaloo of this 2015 school year I forgot that what I say and do can make a difference.  I forgot that if I can’t change the big stuff, at least I can impact the little stuff.  That little stuff can carry you through a day if you take the time to notice it.


It’s going to rain this week and as a result lunch will be a nightmare.  However, I am not going to dread it.  We are going to plan for it and go in like the warriors: the nurturing, caring, “this is still a library!” warriors that we are.  And while I am walking and walking and walking around and grow disheartened by the swelling crowd and those who insist on breaking rules they know are there, I will not let it set the tone for my day.  I will take care of the rule breakers because that is my job, but I will look for those I can help because that is what makes my job worthwhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment