Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Workin' 9 to 5

Sometimes I remember commercials from my youth that no one else does.  (For example, no one else remembers the "Barcelona.  It's in Spain" commercials that ran before the Summer Olympics in Barcelona to let us ignorant Americans know where Barcelona was.  They were so lame and yet so good in conveying where in the world Barcelona is that whenever I hear Barcelona, I immediately think "It's in Spain.")  However, I feel confident that everyone will remember the Enjoli commercial I am about to reference, but if not, click here.

Released in the early 80's, this commercial was about celebrating the new generation of working women.  Women who fought hard for their jobs and not only earned money, but then came home, made dinner and wowed their husbands with their feminine wiles.  As a kid, I remember being amazed the woman was cooking bacon(!) for dinner!  Decadence.  As an adult, I am amazed she didn't immediately take her bra off and change into comfy pants when she walked through the door. What the hell was she thinking?  On my drive home, I am picturing that sweet, sweet moment I get to take my shoes off for the day.  The Enjoli woman is cooking in heels.  Hmm, my jaded adult take is that perhaps this ad was less about female empowerment and more about what a male director wanted in his dream woman....

Anyway, aside from the constricting foot wear, adjusting to full time work is going well.  I am still getting my kettlebell in, laundry is getting done and the kids are still growing.  It is a new normal and it is a busy one!  Bill used to laugh when I said I did laundry all day, and I would get mad because I really did do laundry all day.  However, now laundry can now get done in an evening.  Apparently my working has thrown the earth's rotation out of whack and more can get done in less time.  Crazy, right?!  The kids are adjusting too and are also feeling the time shift.  However in their case, eight hours is not even enough time to get their teeth brushed before I get home.

I really like my job. I like being busy.  I like the people I work with. I have a desk!  My own desk!   Two of the things I was worried about the night before I started was if there would be a refrigerator and how close a staff bathroom might be.  There is a refrigerator in the break room twenty feet from my desk so there is no need to worry about what I can bring for lunch and, happy day, a staff bathroom right outside the hall. Jackpot!!!  I can't remember everyone's name but that is okay because they can't remember mine and we all wear badges anyway.

I will own up to feeling perhaps a tiny bit tired.  Or maybe even bone crushingly exhausted.  Yes, that was me asleep on the couch about 8:15 last Friday.  I know that damn Enjoli woman probably stayed up til midnight knitting a blanket or saving whales somewhere, but I think I am more Rosie the Riveter than Enjoli woman anyway. 
Yes, yes we can.

(Personally, I would love to wear a jump suit and bandanna to work and you know Rosie was sporting some sensible shoes to go with both. And yes, of course, I would up the sleeves of said jumpsuit and show my muscles, just like Rosie)   It can be overwhelming how much there is to get done in a day.  I am trying to take it all in stride and give myself time to adjust, give us all time to adjust as my wise husband suggests.  Until we do, I am going to think more like Rosie.  She rolled up her sleeves and entered the workforce and so am I.  We are strong, we are purposeful and we are determined.  Rosie and I?  We can do laundry in the evening or we can encourage kids to use the same towel once more until we do.  We can clean the house when we get a chance or ignore the dog hair until we do.  Even better, smile as our sweet husband takes up the vacuum.  We can make a great meal on the fly or we can make a sandwich and call it dinner - either one will fill us up.  We can love our kids whether we are spending all day with them or not enough time together in the evening.  It is a busy new normal and one I see that will go on for a long time, but Rosie and I?  We can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment